River of Life Public Outreach Programme Phase 5 (ROLPOP5) Award
River of Life Public Outreach Programme Phase 5 (ROLPOP5) Award is established to reward and recognise different target groups within Phase 5 area who are dedicated to enhancing, protecting and contributing positive impact towards River of Life initiative.
With the tagline Celebrating Local Champions of Klang River, the ROLPOP5 Award aims to highlight the diversity of ways that people are preserving/ conserving/ monitoring/promoting our rivers and to raise awareness and encourage people’s responsibility towards the river.
The award categories cover five target groups within the ROLPOP5 area, which are:
- local community;
- educational institutions;
- industries, corporate and developers;
- food establishments, wet markets and automobile workshops;
- general public (NGO/NPO and Individual); and
Tuan Haji Mohd Khairi Selamat, Director of River Basin Management Division, Department of Irrigation and Drainage Malaysia launched the ROLPOP5 Award on the 19 June 2019.
Following the launching, nomination was made open to public from 20 June 2019 to 15 August 2019 to name the deserving local champions of Klang River.
In 2 months, the Award received 71 nominations from all categories.
Award Presentation Ceremony
To celebrate local champions of Klang River, the ROLPOP5 Award Presentation Ceremony was held on the 16 December 2019 (8.30 PM – 10.00PM) at the River of Life iconic lookout point; Leboh Pasar Besar viewing the Masjid Jamek.
YB Tuan Haji Khalid bin Abd Samad, Minister of Ministry of Federal Territories was present to launch and present the Awards to winners.
Local celebrities, Maya Karin and Alena Mureng were also present and performed few songs in front of 200 audience of VIPs, nominees, government agencies and ROLPOP consultants and its communities.
The winners for each categories are
- Local communities - KRT KAMPUNG KASIPILLAY
- Educational institutions - YAYASAN CHOW KIT
- Industries, corporate and developers - KONG LONG HUAT CHEMICALS SDN BHD
- Food establishments, wet markets and automobile workshops - KONSORTIUM PASAR BORONG SDN BHD
- Media – BAVANI MAHALINGHAM from THE STAR
- Special Jury Award – WATER WARRIORS from the UNIVERSITI MALAYA
- General public
- NGO/NPO - FRIENDS OF SUNGAI KLANG MID VALLEY THREE
- Individual - MOHD HALIM B. MOHD SAID
Congratulations to all winners and finalists! More photos here